Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Blog #2: SCOTUS History

 What did you learn about the Supreme Court that you didn't already know?

  • While reading this article, I learned that “For more than 100 years after the foundation of the Supreme Court, the justices were required to hold circuit court twice a year in each judicial circuit—a grueling duty (given the primitive travel methods at the time) that Congress formally abolished in 1891.” I found this interesting because this was a way to make sure that all of the justices were up to date with all of the state laws an opinions of the community. To me this makes me think that they are in touch with what the community has to say and cares about their opinion. 

    What is the most important take-away point about the Supreme Court?

    • In my opinion the most important take away point from the Supreme Court is that all people have equal rights under the law. That is why there are so many cases based off of the amendments. As citizens of the United Sates of America we should follow and expect that the amendments are correctly followed. That is why cases such as Engle v. Vitale are important. You cannot push things upon people.  


    What was the most surprising thing you learned?

    • The most surprising thing that stuck out to me was that, as of June 2022, 115 Justices have served on the Supreme Court. I thought that there would have been more justices. In perspective I guess that does make sense. Based on the fact that they are appointed for life. I assumed that there would have been many more justices since the Supreme Court has been around since the 1790s. This shocked me a little bit. 


    How did the video change the way you thought of the Supreme Court?

    • The video showed a deeper look inside of the Supreme Court. I learned more in this video than I would have without seeing it, as dumb as that sounds. I learned more about how thing are conducted on the inside rather than from an outsiders view on the whole situation. I give the upmost respect to the justices that have chosen to take this as their profession 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post, Our Relationship With Technology

When it comes to technology, I am not terribly absorbed in my phone, laptop, or other forms of social media. Here you can see my screen time...